Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Depapepe



I was listening to a nice instrumental song at Kangaroo Cafe that sounded Christmas-y and eerily Korean, but I wasn't sure what it was. I asked a barista if he knew the title. He didn't know. He said it was an Mp3 file playing off of a USB stick, and generously offered to give me a copy. I scanned through about 200 songs in the drive. Ugh, it was not until the last 20 songs that I found it. It's a song called "Spur" by "Depapepe", a guitar duo composed of Takuya Miura and Yoshinari Takuoka. Honestly I was a bit thrown off by their name. "Pepe" stands for a female sexual organ in Filipino. Lol, now I see why they're not that popular here. But seriously I love the style and composition of their songs. To think they are limited to only two guitars, which is not a lot. Although some tracks have violins and pianos occasionally mixed in, the pair's superb guitar skills stand out in every track.

Depapepe's music is the type that you listen to when you wanna take it easy or simply "chill". You can say it's kinda what you hear in Korean soap operas (they're Japanese). Out of all their albums, my favorite songs, besides "Spur", are "Days", "Summer Parade", "Hoshi no Kazu Dake Negai Todoku" and "This Way". If you want to experience a different genre of music, Depapepe's worth a try.

Here they are playing Spur:

4 comments:

  1. Depapepe rocks! Idol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've recently discovered depapepe while looking for music to download. as a classically trained musician, i am especially amazed at how they're able to make classical pieces sound so fresh and modern.

    they don't sound "eerily Korean" to me. i should know i've listened to a lot of guitar compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. been playing Depapepe tracks ever since we discovered them early 2009... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete