Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Trip to Giverny

Photobucket

Possibly one of the most beautiful places I've been to, Giverny (jee-va-nyee)is a town situated northwest of Paris, France. It is more famously known as Claude Monet's hometown. Claude Monet's that guy who did those paintings of flowers such as this one:

Photobucket

The man himself:
Photobucket

My cousin Clarice and I decided to visit Giverny on our second day in France. Our first day was spent going around the confines of the area where the Opera is located. Our hotel was rather run-of-the-mill, but was clean and habitable and had decent bathrooms. That was key. It wasn't like we were going to spend most of our time inside the hotel. So that was okay. Two more of our cousins, Kathy and Stephen, were following in two days. My Tita Nora booked us a bigger room when that time comes. Anyway I'll dish more on that in another blog post.

For the uninformed, Tita Nora's my dad's younger sister. And she also happens to be the coolest aunt in the world. She's been to France numerous times, and she was the mastermind of this trip. Tita Nora recommended us to go to Giverny. She said the place was wonderful. My cousin Tony said it was 'meh'. But we went anyway, and we didn't regret it one bit!

To continue... Mr. Monet drew most of his inspiration from his own backyard. It was hard NOT to take pictures while I was there. Every shot I took looked good enough to be a postcard!

Photobucket

This is a restricted pathway the cuts through his garden.


Photobucket

Random macro shot of a flower on the way to the garden.


Photobucket

I've never seen this much species of flowers in one garden! Don't ask me what kind of flower this is, coz there was no budget to print labels lol


Photobucket

See what I mean?


Photobucket

The weirdest flower I saw.

Photobucket

A lagoon that's part of the garden.


Photobucket

Random douchebag who asked for his picture to be taken.


Photobucket

The money shot. But the photo doesn't do it enough justice. Best to be there to see it for yourself!


Photobucket

This is the museum that used to be the Monet family's residence. No photography allowed zzz.


After touring the Monet garden we took the liberty to walk through the rest of the village. There was another garden that caught our attention.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The houses looked picture-perfect as well. Don't let their size deceive you. These go for half a million euros (34 million pesos) a pop lol. And they have Monet to thank for that.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you're a nature lover or photographer who can withstand long walks, I highly recommend Giverny. Here's how to get there:

From Paris, head out to Gare Saint Lazare (pronounced gahr-sun-la-zahr') and buy a ticket going to Vernon. There's a ticket counter on the right side of the station. If you want to avoid the line, have your credit card ready and try the yellow machines scattered in the area. There are also blue machines, but they don't serve your destination. If the yellow machines don't work (didn't for us), go back to the line. Say Vernon like ver-know' so the person at the ticket booth will understand you. If you wanna sound French-y say "Un billet de Vernon, s'il vous plait" (oon biyey du verknow, see voo pley)[one ticket to Vernon, please]. lol

You'll see several trains lined up in front of you. Check the ticket which train you're supposed to hop on.

It's about a 45 minute ride to Vernon. Once out of the train, follow where all the people are going, most likely they're searching for the bus going to Giverny. You will pass through a small ticket station. Don't hang out there, go straight through to find that bus. It costs 4 euros for a ticket, which you pay upon entering the bus. Note that the ticket is aller-retour (round trip). Be sure to keep it, as they'll ask for it when going back to Vernon.

Bon voyage!

14 comments:

  1. Wow. How I wish I can go there someday. Probably with my Mom and Bro :) My mom told me that she's going to France next month with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoah, great shots!

    I like that of the random douchebag best. Tee hee! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. the random douchebag, wow, just... wow.

    Perfect composition, perfect framing, perfect lighting, perfect white balance, perfect timing, BUT just an oh-so-wrong subject :P (joke, peace :D)

    Great pics koya! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. The random douchebag is actually a hobbit, yes?

    Hays, this post makes me wish I'm filthy rich. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galing talaga ng 2nd to the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have to visit france one day... even if i'm seventy na... my favorite european country indeed... thanks for the french lessons drew! I love saying that: jee-va-nyee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the plants on the house. And all the pichurz except for...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wooooot!!! kelan kaya ako makakapunta. hehehehe
    btw, the window shot would have been better if the shot was taken a bit off-center. It adds story to the picture. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. @All: Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never thought I was a nature lover but this is truly breath taking!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I was searching for places to visit to Giverny and your blog came up. I just find it cool because I am a Filipina residing in France and I am reading a fellow Filipino's blog about Giverny. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi, i love your blog about you france and ive been wanting to visit the place, i just want to know what hotel did stay and for how long? Oh, is it too expensive? hope you could help :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Anonymous #2: Sorry for the late reply. I think Giverny is truly amazing. You're lucky you get to see the place whenever you want!

    @Anonymous #3: I stayed in Paris for about a week. We stayed at a cheap hotel called Hotel Haussmann (http://www.hotel-haussmann-paris.com/). Their rooms cost 75 euro a night. No airconditioning, amenities are really stripped down to the basics. Location is awesome because it's on a very busy area bustling with cafes, restos and shops. It is also near the subway and train stations. If you're a bit picky there's a Best Western on the same street. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete