Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Becoming a Godfather



A while ago I attended the baptism of my niece, Gabrielle Martina Abella Limpin, the first daughter of my close cousin Ina and husband Greggy. She is my 4th goddaughter and I'm happy that I was among those chosen to be her ninong. I don't know a lot about the godfather's role in a child's life except that I'm obliged to give them gifts on their birthday, the holidays and important milestones in their lives. I have to say that it ain't cheap being a godfather. But if the child needs anything from me, I'll provide it as long as she doesn't ask for a house, a car or my soul. Notice the "she". I'd love to have a godson too. I think the whole "godparent" deal has lost all its real purpose other than giving away material things. But if that's the only way I can help, why not?



I have a few godmothers who now tell me that it's time for me to return the favor, meaning I should give them gifts now because I have a job. What? Do yours tell you that too? When I become ancient, I'll NEVER oblige Danielle, Maxene, Maddi or Gabby to give me gifts. Even if they become millionaires!

1 comment:

  1. I think a godparent's role is to be an auxiliary parent somehow. And no, I don't think godparents should demand from their godchildren. Ok lang sila?

    ReplyDelete