Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Panic at the Kitchen




Last night was a nightmare.

Let's back up a bit. Yesterday afternoon, our help cleaned my fish aquarium without my supervision. I thought that they wouldn't have such a difficult time because they've cleaned it several times before. Only then I realized that they were new. Our maid turnover rate is pretty high, you see.

Fast forward to last night. It was about 11PM. I came down to check on the aquarium. Something was wrong with the filter. The water that it was spewing out was flowing erratically. It wasn't installed correctly after the aquarium was cleaned. So I removed the top covering to check it out. That's when all hell broke loose. Since it wasn't correctly installed, the hose connected to it was not fitted tightly enough. When I took off the cover the water was gushing out like crazy!! It was one of those moments in life when I screamed like a little girl. What really scared me was the outlet was right behind the darned thing and the water was going right at it. Good thing I lived to tell the tale! I immediately unplugged the filter and the water quickly subsided. It was a total mess. The kitchen counter was flooded with water. The medicine rack beside it wasn't spared. I shamefully woke up my mom to help me do some damage control. Damn, obviously I didn't know how to clean up after myself. Ah, the sheltered life.

Good thing my mom didn't get pissed off that much. After the ordeal I had to take another shower coz I stunk like fish. Speaking off, I have four socially inept parrot fishes. They like burrowing their own holes and hide. That's why I don't like them. But they're there. I wish they'd just die so I can buy a new set of fish. Before them, I had two parrot fishes too, but they were bigger, more attractive and didn't hide too much. Unfortunately, our maid's idea of feeding them was filling the whole aquarium with pellets. So they died almost instantly. I rarely get attached to pet animals, but that incident really left me depressed and angry.

I'm thinking of riding the Flowerhorn craze going on here. My cousin has one. At first I didn't understand what was so special about it when I first saw it at their home. It was small and looked like any other fish I'd see at a pet store. But after a few months it grew quite big and colorful. Ahh, now I get it. The Flowerhorn is quite the looker. I warn you though. It's a carnivorous fish like the Arowana. My cousin put a smaller Flowerhorn in the same aquarium thinking they'd get along. The next day they were shocked to see the poor little thing impaled with only 75% of its body left dangling.

Here at home we also have a black Labrador named Temi. He's very friendly. Initially, I was frightened by him. But he's grown on me. I still won't pet/touch him though.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... the sheltered life indeed! And your parrot fish suck!!!

    ReplyDelete