Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Cheap Style



For several years, my personal style philosophy has been: "If you can get away with it, fake it". You'll be shocked to know that most of my clothes are knockoffs of popular brands :P But people tell me that my clothes look expensive. Whoaaa! What a nice compliment! Props to Structure and Quick Change stores (found at Greenhills Shopping Complex in Manila) for having balls of steel to sell such quality black market clothing without getting caught! Seriously, spending your own money is waaay more difficult and it makes you think twice, thrice, fwice (?) before you let go of it. That's the reason why I've gone cheap on my wardrobe selections.

I like to dress up casually. I hate wearing formal clothes like long-sleeved shirts, barongs, coats and slacks. Ugh. I hate them because for one, the weather here in my country is damn hot. The only place where I like to sweat is inside the gym. Secondly, I don't like formal events. They usually bore the hell out of me. My daily attire is a shirt plus a pair of jeans or cargo shorts.



When I go shopping, I look out for basic crew necks with nice prints. I avoid colors that look awful on me like yellow, light blue and green. I love black shirts because they go with anything. The shirt sleeves have to be 4-5 inches from my elbow and length has to be just below my waist, or else I won't buy them. Gone are the ghetto hip-hop days of oversized shirts and torn jeans lol. I still like my jeans pretty loose. I wear a size 32 although my waist is a 30.



Two days ago I got concerned about using wax on my hair everyday. My Style Sensei says it's fine as long as I wash it off at night. That's the problem. I don't take showers at night and to think I exercise vigorously late in the afternoon! Am I gross?! Answer! Now that I know, I'll be forced to clean up in the evening before I sleep :x I promised to myself to apply wax three times a week tops and wear my hair normally for the rest of the days.



I take good care of my face by washing it with a facial wash that my cousin Gwing gave me for Christmas. I checked it out at Skin Food to see if she was cheaping me out but boy was I NOT disappointed! That place is crazy pricey! Thanks Gwing :P I use a toner afterwards and apply an exfoliating cream from my mom. You can say I'm vain :P It's ok hahaha.

* * * * *


Last night I was talking to a friend over YM about losing weight. He and his group of friends are *trying* to undergo some bootcamp-style diet program that involves eating brown rice, veggies, lean meat and avoiding sugar and carbs altogether. He asks why I'm so conscious about my weight since I'm already thin. I said it's because I'm not young anymore and I carry my dad's genes (he's diabetic). My dad's a good guy but sadly he's doesn't care about his health T_T Next time I'll give him another one of my lectures and hopefully he'll listen.

15 comments:

  1. vain ka nga koya. hahahaha. :D di nga halatang fake ang suot mo. booooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those at Ukay Ukay are not fake.. try mo daw koya.... heheheh
    ----
    Loosing weight... been doing a regimen since January 5! kailangan mag loose ng weight for my event sa march!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Winston: Salamat, salamat hehe

    @Migs: Yesh! It's a must coz your March event is a few months away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get away with it coz like ya know... your pamily is known for being vain and like buying real branded stuff so ya know... we all assume everything iz true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can also use wax on weekdays and go au naturel on weekends (think about it, there are so much more students and young hot chicks roaming about during weekdays than on weekends). having no work on weekends can let me get away with this technique. Style Sensei at your serice! (I'm really liking the vibe of this new fangled name you gave meh!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Maria: hehe do you mean my mom and her penchant for Louis Vuitton and Gucci? or my dad and his carefree attitude towards money? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's your white skin / tisoy complexion that lets you get away with knock-offs, so it's only right that you maintain that complexion with expensive skin products ;) no Eskinol Master or Likas Papaya for you Andrew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's cool i'll try buying those clothes.. ehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUS!

    Everytime your Mom gifts us with branded stuff, we assume it's real. Until I assisted her while shopping for Christmas gifts. Well, hello there Greenhills stuff! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Maria: See, I got that trait from her! May pagkacheapskate din si Mam Bebs!

    @iceman9: :P There's a store in Gmall called Republic. They carry similar clothes.

    @Beevil: Hehe, Eskinol and Likas are too harsh for me.

    @Sensei! (bows) Glad that you like your new identity! If only you can create a new blog and offer us mere mortals your great wisdom in style and fashion :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your style is not cheap, it's frugal (and there's a difference) :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I'm not really into buying clothes just to show a "brand label" (whether fake or real). I dislike showing "labels" on my clothes. Looks... meh.

    I'm more into the classics... and I like going to vintage shops to find some funky treasures and bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Fitz: Yep, "frugal" is probably the best word to describe it :)

    @fruityoaty: I like brand-name clothes but I don't want their labels splashed all over the place. For me, there aren't that much options for guys at vintage shops as much as girls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so gay.....its cool though. lols.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Anonymous: whoaa first time I got that comment! :P

    ReplyDelete